Saturday, January 1, 2011

NEW BEGINNINGS

Verse of the Day:
“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trial of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” (James 1:2)

Looking back at last year I could easily argue that 2010 was filled with disappointment, hardships, and failures. Early in the year my wife was hospitalized from dehydration- definitely a trying thing to go through. While there she was given a medication to help with her sickness which she had an allergic reaction to. For the sake of details and sanity, it’s a scary thing to see someone have a medicine injected into their veins and then find out they're allergic to it. All this hardship we found out was from her pregnancy and on July 20th, this hardship turned into a huge blessing when our baby girl was born!
A few months later I found out that I was losing my job and would not be hired back the following school year. With school loans and a wife to take care of and knowing there’s a child on the way, there was night after night I would lie awake wondering how I would take care of them, provide for them. I sent out resume upon resume and applications all over and nothing came through. I had to have been rejected well over 200 times, each time losing a little more hope that I would be able to provide for my family. My wife also sent out numerous applications and nothing.
Interviews came and interviews went and we expanded our searches to states we definitely didn’t want to move to, but where jobs were somewhat available. I had an unofficial offer on the table in a place that would take 25 hours to drive to (without a baby!). While we didn’t want to move there per se, it was the only option we had at this point. I had one interview close to home that we were really hoping for but knew it was an extreme long shot- very extreme. I had told my wife that if I hadn’t heard from this place by the end of the current week, I was going to have to go the following weekend and accept the other position 25 hours away.
The week came and went I didn’t hear. It was Friday evening so I began planning my road trip when the phone rang and I was offered the job close to home! Through hundreds upon hundreds of applications, resumes, and many interviews and rejections- God provided me with the job I wanted! A job my wife and I and our soon to be daughter could be close to family.
Two days later my wife and I were visiting her family when she started getting intensely sharp back pains. We were sure it was labor, but as it turns out it wasn’t. It was the beginning of a problem she eventually would need surgery for; to have her gall bladder removed. She would go a few months and the pains would get worse. Luckily one day her father, who is a paramedic, was around when she was having these pains. He told her doctor the next day to check her gall bladder and sure enough- a problem fixed.
Before that however, we’d been to the E.R. multiple times, seen 4 different doctors and none of them could figure it out. She’d have sharp pains that would cripple her and then they’d disappear as if nothing happened. Through all this, she was still able to deliver a very healthy baby, have her surgery, and is now back on her feet and full of life.
These are just a few of the hardships and trials I had to face during the 2010 year, yet each time God brought us through. He was faithful through it all. As I look back on 2010, I could easily say it was a hard year, but when I really think about it, it was a year filled with blessings! A lay off from one job provided a job close to home and family. My wife in the hospital proved to be nothing more than a baby growing in her womb! When no doctor or trip to the E.R. could find what was wrong with my wife, it was a chance visit with her dad that brought to light what was wrong with her- God provided that visit. So despite these hardships, each one was followed with a much greater blessing.
As you prepare yourself for 2011, know that you will suffer, that you will endure hardships, but also know that God is faithful and will bless you more than you can imagine. I look back at 2010 and am reminded of when James said to “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trial of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” (James 1:2) When you persevere and put your trust in God, He will reward you and bless you. As you jump into 2011, fight your trials head on and trust in Him who will reward your perseverance. Happy New Year- may it be filled with hardships, and, blessings!

JM

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciated your testimony and rejoice with you over the healing, direction, job and especially the new baby. Praise God! He never leaves us alone to face life's challenges. He is so good!!!
    Joyfully,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete