Saturday, January 1, 2011

For January 2, 2011

The Greatest Vision

“What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.”
Philippians 3:8

Having a life vision is important.  What do you want your life to look like?  What kind of person do you want to be?  Is there something you believe God has called you to do?  Is there a desire from God that burns deeply in your spirit? 

I want my life to count for eternity.  I don’t want to waste my time pursuing things that really do not matter.  Yet, sometimes I lose sight of God’s vision for my life.  I get discouraged, side-tracked, lured away by frivolous and unimportant things. 

The New Year provides a good opportunity to look back at what we’ve been through and look forward to where we want to be.

Today I was organizing a large bin of notebooks.  The notebooks contain many things I have written, such as journaling, poetry, Bible study notes, etc.  I scanned through many of them to find the dates of the period in my life the notebook covered.  For each notebook not already marked I took a black Sharpie permanent marker and marked the dates on the front.  I had notebooks that went as far back as 1997, the year I graduated from high school. 

I like to look back at things I’ve written in the past from time to time.  Scanning through my notebooks, journals and writings reminds me of my hopes, dreams and desires.  I remember places I’ve been, encounters I’ve had with God, and trials He’s graced me to endure.  Occasionally I come across something God spoke to me that I had not remembered. 

In a way, looking at these notebooks helps orient me, like a compass.  Remembering what I have been through helps me remember where I am going.  It adds value and meaning to my life.  More than anything, I think, I am reminded of the rich heritage I’ve been given in the Lord.  I realize that the meaning of my life is not so much defined by the things I have done or been through, but the relationship I have with Christ.  Through it all the deep desire for a real relationship with God permeates everything. 

Above all things, at the forefront of God’s vision for our lives, is a desire for relationship.  He initiates relationship with us.  We respond to His call by running after Him, seeking Him with all of our hearts. 

For many of us, all too often what we DO defines us.  This year, perhaps, what ought to define us the most is who we belong to – God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.  Our vision for life ought to be wrapped up in the relationship we have with Him.  The greatest vision is that of knowing Him.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment