Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Joy of Heaven


Verse of the Day:  “And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” -Revelation 21:4


When I think of heaven, I think of a happy place.  In heaven there will be no sadness.  God promises to have wiped away every tear from our eyes.  No more death, no more sorrow, no more pain.  No mundane existence, drudgery, sickness, or weariness.  Gone will be days of loneliness and frustration.  Where there may have been struggle there will be a heart and mind at peace.   

In heaven, every day we will awaken to joy.   

The thought of heaven is wonderful to me.  Because as much as I want to be joyful, many days I am not.  As much as I thirst for happiness, sometimes I feel sorrowful.  Though I long to be free, often I feel weighed down.  I am weighed down by the cares of life, decisions I struggle to make, the longing of unfulfilled dreams and desires…and other things.

Despite my struggles, I have tasted enough of God’s presence to know that heaven is a place of pure and incredible joy.  In His presence is “fullness of joy” and “pleasures forevermore.” (Psalm 16:11)  Of course, this joy is not just reserved for us in heaven.  We can live in it now! 

Nonetheless, especially on bad days, it helps to look up and remind ourselves of what heaven will be like.  Heaven will be absent the things that cause us to lose our joy here on earth.  The things in this life that threaten to weigh us down will have been completely whisked away by the glorious presence of God.

JG


No comments:

Post a Comment