Thursday, January 20, 2011

10 Reasons You Should Not Fear


Reason #6 – Your True Inheritance is in Heaven

“The days of the blameless are known to the Lord, and their inheritance will endure forever.”
Psalm 37:18

The Bible clearly states that Christians - “the meek” - will inherit “the earth.”  God is not only preparing a place for us in heaven, but He will one day make a new earth.  I don’t understand all of that, but in the book of Revelation God paints a beautiful picture of the new city of Jerusalem coming down out of heaven.  And a loud voice called out, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them…He will wipe every tear from their eyes.  There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain…” (Rev. 21:3,4)

In other words, God’s got your back.  For a little while we may have to endure some trials, but compared to the wonders of eternity with God, we’ll look back and see how “light and momentary” (II Cor. 4:17) they were.

We have an inheritance in heaven that will not “perish, spoil or fade.” (I Peter 1:4)  We so easily get our eyes on temporary things, concerned with the cares of this life, we fail to focus on those things that really matter.  We need to have our eyes on eternity.  That is where our real future lies.

An eternal focus helps to quench fear.  When our eyes are on eternity - focused on the things that really matter - the concerns of this life grow dimmer.  When our gaze is enraptured by the presence and glory of Jesus, fear becomes less and less.
Psalm 27:1,3 says,

“The Lord is my light and my salvation –
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life –
of whom shall I be afraid?...
Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then will I be confident.”

The light of God dispels the darkness.  As we clothe ourselves in the armor of light (Romans 13:12), putting on the breastplate of His righteousness (Eph. 6:14), our hearts cease to become the dwelling place of fear.
JG - All Scriptures NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment